Every year Companies House publish a list of unusual excuses directors give for filing their companies accounts late. This year the list includes:-
- Goats ate my accounts.
- I found my wife in the bath with my accountant.
- Pirates stole my accounts.
- We delivered the accounts to the betting office next door to Companies House.
- A volcano erupted and prevented me from filing.
- Slugs ate my accounts.
- It was Valentine’s Day.
- My company was more successful than I thought it would be, so I was too busy to file.
Needless to say, when the directors appealed the late filing penalties, which start at £150 and can increase quickly to £3000 or more, they were unsuccessful. In fact there are very few circumstances in which a penalty will be cancelled, and even then it’s likely that Companies House will have to be notified in advance of the deadline that the accounts will be late. Most private limited companies have 9 months to file their accounts, although particular care must be taken in the first year as there may be an earlier date. It pays to take early action. If you have any questions regarding your obligations as a director of a limited company, please give us a call on 01733 371180.